Subject verb agreement is an essential aspect of effective writing. Your readers will be distracted and confused if your sentences have errors in subject-verb agreement. Whether you`re a seasoned writer or just starting, subject-verb agreement exercises are an excellent way to practice and improve your writing skills. In this article, we will discuss subject-verb agreement exercises you can print and use to improve your writing.
Subject-verb agreement means that the subject and the verb in a sentence must agree in number, which means they must both be singular or plural. A sentence will be incorrect if there is a disagreement between the two. For example, “She eats apples” is correct, while “She eat apples” is incorrect. Such errors can be corrected through practice. Below are various exercises that can help you practice and master subject-verb agreement:
1. Choose the correct verb form. Print out sentences that have errors in subject-verb agreement. Then, identify and underline the subject and verb in each sentence. Next, cross out the incorrect verb and rewrite the sentence with the correct verb form.
2. Cross out errors in agreement. Print out a page with several sentences, some of which contain subject-verb agreement errors. Cross out the incorrect verb form and write the correct form above it.
3. Identify agreement errors. Print out sentences with errors in subject-verb agreement and underline the incorrect verb form. Then write the correct verb form above the incorrect one.
4. Rewrite the sentence. Print out a page with several sentences and replace the incorrect verb with the correct one.
5. Fill in the blanks. Print out a page with sentences and an incomplete verb form. Fill in the missing form of the verb that matches the subject.
6. Match the verb form. Print out sentences with two different verbs forms for one subject. Identify the correct form of the verb that agrees with the subject.
In conclusion, subject-verb agreement is critical in writing effective sentences. Subject-verb agreement exercises are a great way to practice and improve your writing skills. By printing out the exercises and following the instructions, you will be able to recognize and correct errors in subject-verb agreement. Improving your writing skills will make you a better writer and help you communicate your ideas more effectively.